Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday Card Glitterati

As marketers, we know that multiple touches on potential and current customers can both build and strengthen the relationships we have with our customers. Around this time of year, one of those touches is the ubiquitous holiday card.

While many organizations are in light of the current economic downturn opting to send e-cards, my feeling is that these are too fleetingly read and too easily deleted. Far more lasting, durable, and meaningful are the traditional holiday cards-which should in all cases be personalized with a short, appropriate message inside.

In our digital age, a personalized, hand-signed card really resonates. Which is why this year I find myself covered in glitter.

This year, the administrative assistant for the Bernard M. Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program bought about 100 glitter-covered cards: From glitterized snowman cards to glitter-encrusted sleighs to glitter-adorned menorahs (glitter is, apparently, appropriate for all religions), I have personalized them all. (In truth, I think she bought the sparkly cards to spite me, but I can't prove it.)

At one point in this morning's marathon glitterfest, I had to scratch an itch on my nose. Then I had to rub my eye. Then I sneezed, scattering the glitter across my desk and body. I am, in a word, awash in glitter. I am as glittery as a schoolgirl, as sparkly as a showman. If it were pitch-black outside, I could serve as a reflecting badge, I'm so glittery. I mean, I could audition for the Rockettes with as much glitter I am currently wearing. I suspect I will be finding glitter on my desk for the next six months, thus providing me with holiday spirit well into 2010.

But enough of the hilarity. Although my friends the MIT engineers don't generally acknowledge it, marketers make sacrifices to maintain and sustain the relationships we work so hard to build. Without marketers, the clever engineers would have a much harder time making potential customers aware of their innovative product.

Sending personalized holiday cards is just one way I've worked throughout my tenure in this program to increase awareness of the importance of our endeavor. I know our program supporters, friends and prospects will appreciate receiving a thoughtfully written holiday card.

If my cost is to be glittery, at least I know I'll glow.

No comments: