You can check out their web site at http://www.officialirishdirt.com/, and there for $20 purchase four small bags of official Irish dirt, shamrock seeds, and get free shipping.
The concept of Official Irish Dirt got me thinking about other official dirt-selling opportunities, which I have listed below:
- Official West Bank Dirt: For the Palestinian in All of Us
- Official Afghanistan Dirt: When You Miss Your Taliban Roots
- Official Iraq Dirt: Nothing grows in it, but under it you may find WMD
- Official D.C. Dirt: (So many directions to take with this one--it's just too easy)
- Official New Orleans Dirt: Comes with official sea water, so you can submerge it
- Official French Dirt: Start Your Own Vineyard
- Official Ukraine Dirt: Invade it, Rebuild It, Contaminate It
- Official Green Bay Dirt: Maybe Brett Favre Will Come Back, After All
- Official North Korea Dirt: No Matter What You Do, Nothing Grows in It
- Official German Dirt: Deutschland, Deutschland uber Alles in der Welt
- Official Saudi Arabia Dirt: Dig Deeply Enough and You May Strike Oil
In so many ways, official Dirt is a brilliant product for the sole reason that even as our attachments to each other become more electronic, we remain nostalgic for physical places--to have a sense of place. With Official Dirt we can take that place with us wherever we go.
I think I am going to buy some DC Dirt right now: Maybe I can get some from near the Mayflower Hotel and see what pops up.