Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Best Way to Make Sure I DON'T Buy Your Product

Internet marketers, please heed the following screed.

The best way to make sure I don't buy your product is to trick me into visiting your site. Despite all the surveys and studies that show consumers absolutely abhor this tactic, some of you are still conducting these insidious and underhanded campaigns.

Even more detestable: Connecting the unsubscribe option (and other hotlinks) to your website.

Case in point: Today I received an email from myself, titled "From admin". I'm not 'admin' and I certainly didn't send myself the email in question--in fact, it was purportedly from Microsoft. Nothing was attached to the email I didn't send myself, so I opened it.

Always seeking to decrease the amount of spam I receive, I unsuspectingly clicked on the unsubscribe button.

Whereupon I was directed to...

A website for "Canadian Pharmacy" where I could buy discounted drugs.

I clicked on the "More Newsletters" option in the same email, with the same result--Canadian Pharmacy. I clicked on the "Privacy" option in the same email; same result--Canadian Pharmacy.

Canadian Pharmacy, you're not getting my business. You're getting my wrath. And it's substantial.

You've earned my solemn vow to report you to every single spam authority I know of. I'm also contacting Microsoft to advise them that you are illegally using their logo and their address. I'm pushing this blog entry as aggressively as possible to ensure others avoid your scheme.

Internet marketers, do not employ these shameless techniques to drive traffic to your site. I guarantee you won't be happy with the results.

1 comment:

San said...

Those are not marketers. really. I wouldnt use the word marketer with anyone that is basically sending the worst type of spam...