Saturday, November 17, 2007

People Often Ask Me What I Think About When I Run...

Having completed 16 marathons, innumerable shorter races and thousands of miles of training throughout the world, I have enjoyed a lot of time in my running shoes. While I prefer to run with a buddy, often I go out alone, accompanied only by my thoughts. I run unadorned, that is, without a iPod or any other distraction device.

I run to get away from the distractions and minimize the noise in my life. On the road, things are simpler and clearer. When it's cold, my thoughts are crisp; when it's hot, my thoughts tend to wander.

People often ask me what I think about when I run. Truth be told, I don't really remember. But this morning was chilly and my thoughts focused on why I run.

Here's why.

When I was very young, I ran to win races. I thought that if I were talented and lucky and put my heart's blood into it, I could claim whatever little molecule of immortality might have my name on it. Now I run to trace the footprints I left in previous seasons, and to remember snapshots from the miles I've plodded. It connects me to all the things I used to believe.

No comments: