Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ten Leadership Tips for Students Considering Studying a STEM Field

As many of you know, not only do I write for myself, but I also write for others--both as part of my job as Director of Communications for the Bernard M. Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program and as a freelancing marketing/communications professional (www.the-hired-pen.com).

The Gordon-MIT ELP's Director, MIT Professor Edward Crawley, was recently approached by the authors of the "Professor's Guide" blog for U.S. News and World Report. They contacted him on the basis of an article on the program by Tracy Jan that appeared in the Boston Globe on October 25.

They were interested in sharing with their readers Ed's perspective on the "leadership essentials" for any student considering a career in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) field. Naturally, Ed delegated the task to me, and I had the great good fortune to collaborate with Visiting Lecturer (general design guru and all-around good guy) Blade Kotelly to craft a piece entitled "Ten Tips for Success for Engineering Students."

It was extremely interesting to write an article on leadership tips that to me--having served as an officer in the U.S. Army and spent a considerable amount of time in the law enforcement field--are deeply ingrained and intuitive. If I can help emerging STEM leaders grow more proficient in these so-called "soft skill" areas, then my writing skills will truly have been put to good use.

No comments: